History of Holy Trinity Church
The church of Holy Trinity is the original parish church of the Saxon settlement
of Wolverton. It stands on an eminence overlooking the valley of the Ouse, close
to the mound of a Norman motte and bailey castle, thrown up by Manno the Breton.
The medieval building was replaced by a new church begun in 1809 and finished in
1815, which incorporates the 14th century central tower of the old church, re-
The rebuilt church was one of the first in Britain to be designed in an historical style; in this case the Norman or Romanesque style, probably influenced by Wolverton’s important Norman past, when it was the seat of one of the Conqueror’s barons, Manno the Breton. It is the earliest church built in that style in the country
The interior of the church was simply and plainly treated, dominated, as it still is, by the great round east window. The 17th century black and white marble floor of the chancel, and the grand early 18th century monument there commemorating Sir Thomas Longueville baronet were removed from the old church.
In 1870 the church embarked on an important scheme of decoration to the designs of
Edward Swinfen Harris. The aim was to give the interior a more full-
The decoration of the side walls of the chancel and its ribbed vault dates from around 1907, when Charles Harrison Townsend was church architect and St John Mildmay the Rector.
Holy Trinity lost its patron and benefactor in 1970 when the Radcliffe Trust sold
its Wolverton estate to the Milton Keynes Development Corporation. The team ministry
with St George’s was instituted in 1973. A small toilet and kitchen were installed
in the tower as part of an otherwise ill-